Where. Murlocs. Dare

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now Available At: http://www.wheremurlocsdare.com!

+3
Marveen
Dahlaine
Cardinal
7 posters

Malygos Feedback Thread!

Dahlaine
    Dahlaine

Malygos Feedback Thread! - Page 2 Empty Re: Malygos Feedback Thread!

Post  Dahlaine Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:50 pm

I seemed to have been heavily slacking DPS wise in a few attempts there. BoK instead of BoM was probably a bad idea thinking about it, I won't make that mistake again.

Sartharion + 1 Drake seems to rely on the majority of people being alive and is quite a step up difficulty wise in comparison to the dragon on its own. We made pretty solid progress for the first few attempts; lack of concentration and tiredness made us luck out on a few of the others.

Tanking: Was good, position was good, and once Taq realised how much defence he needed it all seemed to go well enough. I failed epicly on the last attempt before the no drakes try by following an Elemental Taq was kiting and ended up in the middle of a flame wall.

DPS: Once we sorted out who was attacking what it all seemed to go well enough, although the Drake only has 1.1M health he does take a while to go down with all the DPS on different assignments but I definitely think we can do it.

Healing: Healing was generally good although there seemed to be always see a healer get hit by a flame wall at some point during in each of the attempts which makes it difficult for the tanks and DPS to carry on when there's three seperate encounters going on at once. However practice makes perfect and I think we're on our way there.

Overall Malygos was a good fight, one day we'll one shot him, although I don't believe we've ever had the same DPS classes two weeks running and as such spark-communication can be difficult. Cardinal's Hammer of Gank helped out on the sparks once Enthesilea took over tanking which may have had some effect on the reason why we killed Malygos that time round.

Phase 2 is pretty good; its easy enough for the melee DPS class being up in air as they avoid his breath but this all went well once the healers had their mana problem sorted. Also can anybody tell me if me saying on Vent "It's down" for the scions is actually helping? As there was a point where I didn't say it and a disc was lying around for a few seconds. Perhaps because of a breath which I didn't see.

Phase 3: Everyone knows what they're doing here; the DPS just need to remember 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 5 and to use their flame shield. It's highly possible to survive two surges on yourself in a row if you have the combo points. There was some issues in the successful Malygos attempt where two people were wildly far way from the rest of the pack, I'm not sure for what reason.

I think we can improve the timing on Phase 3 as he really shouldn't have been able to get his enrage off in the time we had left on the clock, however maybe we've just been lucky with Phase 3 prior to now.

Overall - all good, but still needs work. However we do improve every week and hopefully will be amazing at it by the time Ulduar comes out.

Last edited by Dahlaine on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
    Marveen
    Marveen

Post  Marveen Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:21 am

Bit slow on sorting the healing out for Malygos, but I'm going to refrain from making my wall-of-text post about that issue after a chat with Cardinal.. sorry to disappoint! Smile One comment I'll add is that healers should stay away from the spark zone if possible, as the arcane bolts do splash damage and you don't want it to land on more people than necessary.

Tanking was very good on Sartharion1D. Very tricky fight for 10-mans, as you effectively need 3 tanks and 3 healers, leaving only 4 to do DPS after the drake lands. The drake dies slowly because he takes considerable less damage while his assistant is up in the twilight world, I think - so add to reduced DPS the fact he's tougher than normal.

I think it was a good choice of drake to leave up as the increased damage was predictable to handle. So looking forward to trying him again next week!
    - moved to the Sartharion thread!

Last edited by Marveen on Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
    Cardinal
    Cardinal
    Big Fish

Post  Cardinal Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:22 am

There is a lot of talk that Malygos has been buffed in patch 3.0.8, though I can't tell you how reliable that is.

From what people are saying:

- Sparks duration changed so you can't stack more than 3 at a time.
    - The AoE chain explosion that follows on from a deep breath has had its radius greatly increase, and is bugged so that it chains off pets.
    - You now cannot target Malygos at the end of phase 2 until he has finished his speech, reducing your phase 3 time by about 30 seconds.

I certainly couldn't target Malygos at the start of phase 3 for about 30 seconds, so that one does seem to be true at least. It would explain why we barely beat the enrage timer.

There's also numerous people reporting bugs. The only one I can confirm is that sometimes the shield bubbles don't appear in phase 2.
    Dahlaine
    Dahlaine

Post  Dahlaine Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:27 am

Hmm. Perhaps we should send through one DPS to take down the twilight add in the portal then?

I'm not sure how much it hits but it has relatively low health. I'm sure a self-healing class could deal with it, I'd probably have little difficulty with my wolves out.

Lord knows I accidentally clicked on the portal enough times.

Last edited by Dahlaine on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
    Cardinal
    Cardinal
    Big Fish

Post  Cardinal Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:18 am

Dahlaine wrote:Hmm. Perhaps we should send through one DPS to take down the twilight add in the portal then?

I'm not sure how much it hits but it has relatively low health. I'm sure a self-healing class could deal with it, I'd probably have little difficulty with my wolves out.

Lord knows I accidentally clicked on the portal enough times.

This is the Malygos thread... tongue
    Dahlaine
    Dahlaine

Post  Dahlaine Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:01 am

Lies. LIES AND SCANDAL.

*moves post*
    Mnemo
    Mnemo

Post  Mnemo Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:49 pm

Well, my main grief with the Malygos raids at the moment is that I'm practically soloing the sparks every time. Sure, Chains of Ice and Death Grip are good tools for Malygos, but it's pretty hard to do on my own.

More CC (and please, when you do CC; try to stack it on the last spark-field, quite often the CC is used too soon - meaning that melee can't stand in both fields) would be good too Razz
    They are fully stunnable and slowable.
    I'm assuming they are fully CCable unless proven otherwise. Razz
    Enthesilea
    Enthesilea

Post  Enthesilea Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:16 am

I would hazard a guess you can't sheep the sparks but snares should work =)
    Dahlaine
    Dahlaine

Post  Dahlaine Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:57 am

Mnemo wrote:Well, my main grief with the Malygos raids at the moment is that I'm practically soloing the sparks every time. Sure, Chains of Ice and Death Grip are good tools for Malygos, but it's pretty hard to do on my own.

More CC (and please, when you do CC; try to stack it on the last spark-field, quite often the CC is used too soon - meaning that melee can't stand in both fields) would be good too Razz
    They are fully stunnable and slowable.
    I'm assuming they are fully CCable unless proven otherwise. Razz

I was trying to help you with this Taq, however the problem is the only slowing abilities I have are my earthbind totem which pulses rather than being a permanent slow which is pretty useless and also removes the SoE buff. And also Frost Shock which although I was using, shares the GCD of all my other spells and also has a very short slow duration. Of course I have Hex but the sparks are far from humanoid.

A frost nova or similar would help you far more than me attempting to here.

I don't want to sound like I'm trying to make excuses, as I was DPSing the sparks when they were over the others if it was possible, just my class really isn't made for mass CC-ing abilities.
    Marveen
    Marveen

Post  Marveen Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:29 am

Saturday 7th Feb:

A clean and quick oneshot kill, with a very fast (record?) phase 1. In phase 2, those with low hp should jump on a disc as soon as the melee dps are all flying - you become immune to damage once you're on a frisbee!

Phase 3 was the messiest one - I remember hearing Taq shout we were all getting too spread out. A solution could be to move 1/4 (90 degrees) around Malygos every X seconds, so everyone knows where the group will gather next? So, starting from our usual gathering spot in the southeast (04.30), every 8 seconds /rw "MOVE RIGHT!" the whole raid races 90 degrees counterclockwise. First time it would be to the northeast (01.30), then the northwest (10.30), then southwest (7.30), then return to the starting quarter (and repeat). Or make it the cardinal corners (S/E/N/W) for simplicity - and everyone starts in the south? I'm going to try the Aces High! quest and see how it times with the energy regeneration...

Also, remember you need at least one combo point to use your shield - for healing drakes that means you should take your energy-break with one combo point up. So, Revivify x 5, Life Burst, Revivify x 1, pause, Revivify x 4, Life Burst, Revivify x 1, pause.. etc.
    Marveen
    Marveen

Post  Marveen Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:33 am

Regarding Monday 23rd March (8-man attempt)...

The combat log for this looks crazy, but there's logic in it. It tends to sense a combat break between phases 1+2 and the drake phase (probably drop out of combat as we fall onto the drakes), so we had 8 attempts in total:

Try "1": Maly 1 (failed to control sparks)
    Try "2": Maly 2 (failed to control sparks?)
    Try "3": Maly 3 + 4 (best 8-man try, but I got surged 5x in a row)
    Try "4": Maly 5 (wiped on phase 2)
    Try "5": Maly 6 + 7 (good try, but I messed up and wasted a heal)
    Try "6": Maly 8 (good try, but we hit the enrage timer)
    Try "7": Maly 9 + 10 (Taqwa joins, good try but we messed up phase 3 again)
    Try "8" (Kill): Maly 11 + kill (we did it!)

On our best try ("3") we got hit by the RNG and I got surged 5 times in a row, and I also messed up on try "5" by misclicking and pressing the shield when I wasn't being surged, wasting a group heal (did I curse at myself here.. Sad). I don't like fights that depend on a single player getting lucky with the RNG, so perhaps we should have two healers on the drake phase (for achievement runs), and when one gets surged s/he calls it out on vent/in chat and the other takes over? I'm very open to suggestions on how to improve phase 3 here.

Other than that we did alright - the tricky bits seemed to be controlling the sparks at the start (I think the OT normally does that, which is why we took a while to get this part sorted) and random aggro from the scions in phase 2, making us lose 2-3 people each time. And of course, the healing on phase 3.
    Dahlaine
    Dahlaine

Post  Dahlaine Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:09 am

Rather than posting a load of feedback I'll just reply to Marv's post.

Try "1": Maly 1 (failed to control sparks)
    Try "2": Maly 2 (failed to control sparks?)
    The sparks can't really be controlled by the OT Marv, they just travel on a set course (unless DGed) and can be slowed. They also have an annoying feature we only found out about without having a DK in the raid of going immunue once they get in a certain range of Malygo; as Taq or Li usually grips them back. Judged on their health just one of our DPS could have gotten these sparks down in time with a couple of hits. However this problem was fixed once we found out Nova worked. Similar a good use of gankhammers from the rets cleared this up. My earthbind totem provided some slowing on a few attempts but it's a pulse AoE; if it doesn't pulse at the right time for a spark it's a little too late. My frost shock can also help here; which I used on a few of the high up sparks but the GCD on Shamans can be hassle with this.
    Try "3": Maly 3 + 4 (best 8-man try, but I got surged 5x in a row)
    Nothing more I can say about this attempt; if we were going to do it at all during the night it would have been this attempt; very unlucky for Marv. I had a similar problem messing up on one attempt where I hit 4 instead of 5.
    Try "4": Maly 5 (wiped on phase 2)
    Some unlucky deaths because of control of the discs here, was relatively fixed later on. Unfortunately there's not much the DPS; if they pull the aggro off one of these, there were several occasions where I only just survived. Thankfully the oracles did their job well here.
    Try "5": Maly 6 + 7 (good try, but I messed up and wasted a heal)
    Try "6": Maly 8 (good try, but we hit the enrage timer)
    By these attempts we did everything fine, but one missed spark or one death basically means the achievement is failed. Everyone was getting tired of wiping by this point as well and probably not performing their best.
    Try "7": Maly 9 + 10 (Taqwa joins, good try but we messed up phase 3 again)
    Try "8" (Kill): Maly 11 + kill (we did it!)
    The seventh attempt was a little random with people just dying on phase 3, probably for similar reasons as the previous attempt. This is the one where I hit "4" instead of "5" on my drake.

Aside from that I think we got pretty close and I wouldn't be surprised if we get it done next time don't have many sign-ups.
    Cardinal
    Cardinal
    Big Fish

Post  Cardinal Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:42 pm

I thought Malygos was a 1 tank fight but I definitely missed having an off-tank to help control sparks and tank the disc men at the end. Having an OT just makes the tanking flow.

Anyway, glad I decided to give up when we did. We'd hit a peak for that night like Dahl said.
    Marveen
    Marveen

Post  Marveen Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:41 am

DPS seemed a tad low, but we got quite close to getting the 8-man Malygos achievement. We did 5 tries with the last one being a kill:

Maly 1 (Cardinal got sparked and went splat in phase 1)
    Maly 2 (lolpull on intravenous healing pot.. Very Happy)
    Maly 3 (very good try, but failed in phase 3)
    Maly 4 + 5 (chaotic try, healers died in phase 2)
    Maly 6 (Li and Tae join and we get the Kill)

About sparks reaching Malygos: the Oracles CAN outheal a sparked Malygos, but it burns mana and is avoidable, plus it requires us to react fast and switch to turbohealing mode.

Also we got too spread out at the start of phase 3 on our best attempt and lost some drakes early because of that. How about we agree to meet up at 3 o'clock when the drakes drop, instead of trying to spot the raid marker? I personally find it easier to watch my positioning on the minimap.

Phase 3 really is a bitch to solo-heal. Perhaps we need two drakes on healing duty, with one starting on dps, then switching whenever a healer gets surged? I could go try out Aces High! but without a bunch of friendly drakes to heal it's not the same situation, really.. Sad

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 11:08 pm