Where. Murlocs. Dare

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now Available At: http://www.wheremurlocsdare.com!

+3
Marveen
Dahlaine
Cardinal
7 posters

Malygos Feedback Thread!

Cardinal
    Cardinal
    Big Fish

Malygos Feedback Thread! Empty Malygos Feedback Thread!

Post  Cardinal Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:18 pm

(My feedback to come)
    Dahlaine
    Dahlaine

Malygos Feedback Thread! Empty Re: Malygos Feedback Thread!

Post  Dahlaine Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:17 pm

We need to sort out the sparks so we get the stacked buff on phase 1.

Phase 2 went well with the discs as long as you keep away from from Malygos while he's up in the air as he will swipe at you. Everyone seemed to use the magic shields well as well which was good. Also melee DPS need to remember that once a mob is knocked off a disc in the air the disc fall to the ground. So there is more than two.

Phase 3 we'll get to :p.
    Cardinal
    Cardinal
    Big Fish

Post  Cardinal Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:23 pm

Phase 1 should last only a few minutes at most, if we have the stacking buff from the Sparks. The raid shouldn't need to move from the centre at all. It's me who has to move Malygos around the raid, so the Sparks always hit the raid and get destroyed in the same place.

I was starting to figure that out by the end, but I failed my Dragon Towing Test tonight. Wink

Healers did well on Phase 1 considering it lasted twice as long as it should.

Phase 2 seemed to go well, all the melee got up on their discs eventually. In this phase the sooner we can kill the adds, the sooner we'll get to phase 3.
    Marveen
    Marveen

Post  Marveen Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:11 am

Talk about a tricky fight! Things I learned:

- Healers: Keep people over 50% health, so they survive a possible arcane bolt!
    - Healers will use a full mana bar on phase 1 - that's okay, because you will have time to regen in phase 2 and you don't need mana in phase 3.
    - Malygos is moody and likes to turn and breathe on the raid. If you don't need the spark buff (because you're ranged or because you're not on dps), spread out so you don't eat splash damage from the arcane bolt.
    - During the vortex no one will take more than 18k damage. So HoT those low on hp, and one healer ready to top up the tank as soon as we land, while the other two top up the raid.
    - In phase 3, remember to move properly around Malygos so you don't get two-shotted (big personal doh here >.<). And if you want to practise the abilities, the daily quest "Aces High!" (available from a guy on one of the highest platforms in Coldarra, prequest starts in the mini-Dalaran place I think) gives you a drake with the exact same abilities as your red drake in Phase 3.
    Marveen
    Marveen

Post  Marveen Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:19 am

PS: Mnemo, do we have a WWStat thingy for our tries last night?
    Cardinal
    Cardinal
    Big Fish

Post  Cardinal Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:21 am

Great work on Phase 1 and 2 last night Murlocs. Not much more to say about them – we got to phase 3 with everybody alive! Practice will take care of the rest.

Faehla – it is possible for everybody to stand in the spark buff. I recommend marking you so people know to kill the spark at your location, and I will try harder to keep Malygos further away (but not too far). The hunter in the tactic video is doing 2600 DPS on Malygos.

Phase 3:

* We want to enter Phase 3 with at least 3 minutes left on the clock before he enrages.

* Everybody bunches up in the north-east corner (on the mini-map). Do not go within 30 yards of Malypants.

* DPS use ability 1 to build 5 combo points, and then use the finishing move. If possible you should keep a reserve of 25 energy for emergencies.

* Whenever Malygos casts a “Static Field” (a sparkly ball of electricity) this should be called out on Ventrilo and the WHOLE raid moves 30 yards right to avoid it.

* Whenever Malygos casts “Surge of Power” on you, (a big ball of orange fire) use the “Flame Shield” ability. You ideally want to have 5 combo points before you use this, (that's why you keep 25 energy), so it absorbs the most damage possible.

* We only need ONE healer for this, (though we will start with two until we're comfortable). Healers target themselves and build combo points on themselves – NOT MALYGOS. You will then use your healing finishing move to heal the raid.

* Healers target themselves because combo-points build on your target, and you want the points on yourself so you can easily shield yourself when Malygos casts surge on you.
    Marveen
    Marveen

Post  Marveen Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:33 am

Advent wrote:* We only need ONE healer for this, (though we will start with two until we're comfortable). Healers target themselves and build combo points on themselves – NOT MALYGOS. You will then use your healing finishing move to heal the raid.

* Healers target themselves because combo-points build on your target, and you want the points on yourself so you can easily shield yourself when Malygos casts surge on you.
    By yourself he means the drake you're riding. Make sure you have pets' healthbars enabled and set your own pet to your /focus if you have the time.
    Marveen
    Marveen

Post  Marveen Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:37 am

The hard bit seemed to be Phase 1 - or Dragon Towing as Cardinal called it. Healing was quite spikey and random, though it seemed a lot easier when he was being kited wide (though I know it makes it harder to dps). The trickiest bit is spreading out after each vortex - kept worrying about accidentally landing in front of the dragon, which normally means game over. Very well done to the dps on getting the sparks to stack - it was funny when you accidentally pulled aggro off Advent Very Happy That's the way Blizzard tells us we're doing it right!

Phase 2 is a lot easier to heal, aside from the initial chaos until the first two rift lords are down, and the breaths. Kayte, did you end up using Dampen Magic on yourself in the last attempt?

The first attempts at Phase 3 I kept losing my bearings - until I started using the minimap more. Healing is kinda trivial here - self heal 5 times, AoE heal when you have 5 combo points, be ready to hit the shield when he focuses on you. Did any of the dps-dragons use their Revivify to top themselves up? Would really like some feedback/numbers from this phase.. or from all phases in fact! I kept resetting my Recount after each fight because I'm a noob and only just found out you can ask Recount to display per fight data >.< (click on the Notepad icon, next to the Reset data icon, and it gives a dropdown where you can choose which fight to show).

I now have my new neckpiece after handing in the drop from Malygos (quest Judgment at the Eye of Eternity) - thanks to all for getting me it! I ended up taking the Torque (mp5 and crit), though it's more of a pally/priest(/shamoo?) item.. Smile
    Kayte
    Kayte

Post  Kayte Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:48 am

I didn't use Dampen Magic in the end, Marv.

It's clear that this fight is on the edge of survivability for someone in a dress with 19k (buffed) health. Thanks to those that bubbled me during the vortex phase Smile Fortunately I have Lifeblood, which is a useful top-up, and a health pot of course, so it's just a matter of staying alert and minding the big chompy jaws on landing and making sure i'm at the exact centre of the anti-magic hemispheres during stage 2. I absolutely need PWF/GotW/BoK'ing, if at all possible, if combat-ressed with my current health.

Derky was right about the Frisbee mobs not liking me at the start of stage 2, although Iceblocking is a simple enough fix for this.
    zuzuna
    zuzuna

Post  zuzuna Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:48 am

Faze III for a healer is OK because we dont need even to look at Malygos, we move always to where most of the raid is *no need for side movenment, we can always stay out of the sparkles) and spam group heal.

On Faze II I got killed once from Scion, and also Kayte did some times. Frantic bubbling (and praying)

On Faze I we start the vortex with all my group on full health, with 2 shields on them (or 3 sometimes), with 2 renews, and I also hit CoH while on air. When landed (always under the huge belly) I hit asap Prayer for all the group, shield for Kayte and we are almost fine. Almost, because even so, sometimes Kayte (who also has HoTs from other sources) manages to get shot and die Crying or Very sad So, pls, no Dampen magic unless we are sure it dampens that more than healing (I will check)

"Thanks to those that bubbled me during the vortex phase" well, thank you Kayte Smile - and you are right, I forgot to PWF when you ressed. But, you won't die again...
    Dahlaine
    Dahlaine

Post  Dahlaine Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:02 am

Phase 1: From a DPS perspective we seem to have it sorted. Strange that when nobody called out the sparks we managed to get double stacks more than once. I was, when I had the opportunity throwing out an instant Chain Heal on the lowest health party member or the MT once we landed after a vortex. As long as we have everyone alive at this point and get him down in around 3 and a half minutes phase 1 is sorted.

Phase 2: A pretty easy phase from the melee DPS side of things, as long as the healers and caster DPS keep up what they are doing then it's just a case of using the bubbles. This phase is probably are easiest one overall.

Phase 3: Not much else can be said for this that Cardinal hasn't already. As long as we have everyone alive, we stick together and we have the time left on the clock then it's just a case of moving together and we've got it sorted. There was one point near the beginning where I did not have enough combo points for a flame shield upon being surged; however the pet has enough health to survive one of these if you are healed relatively quickly afterwards.
    Enthesilea
    Enthesilea

Post  Enthesilea Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:51 am

Most of the tricky stuff in this fight is tank related, it was sometimes hard scouting the sparks even while I didn't have a big-ass dragon in my face, and the main tank has to do it while wiping the pungent lizzard saliva from his eyes... While the sparks are visible, the tank can position Maly properly and DPS can stop the spark where it hits the center. I think that's the main idea in this fight, if Maly is in the wrong position then the difficulty jumps up considerably and the clock may race out of hand. Kudos to Cardinal/Advent for getting the stuff down, this fight would be impossible without proper positioning and it's not easy in any stretch of the imagination.

For phase 2, since the melee adds come from upstairs and both the tab-targeting system and the camera don't really function properly in that direction it was sometimes hard to catch a glimpse of the add before it beelines for a clothie. But that became better with practise as well, and with all plate wearers foaming at the mouth to get a touch in on the adds I'm sure we can make it so that clothies don't have to get hit no more.

Third phase, always just keep at least 25 energy in your pocket and know that shielding yourself is #1 priority... heck, it's #2 and #3 priority as well. #4 comes stacking combo points and using the finishing move. Hug your friends and move right when you see ticks of 10k damage incoming and a static cloud of electricity hovering in the sky. If you don't get heals for a while, get your bearings and return to the scrummage. Healing yourself seemed like it's too little too late in most cases since it breaks your stride and makes you either miss the next shield or die in the static cloud. Focus on your one thing whether it's DPS or healing and stay close to the friend that pulses shiny green light!
    Cardinal
    Cardinal
    Big Fish

Post  Cardinal Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:28 am

First I want to say that killing Malygos was a really proud moment for me, and for us. I'll confess that when I made this raid group in the post 3.0 world, a part of me always wondered that yes - we could tear through instances with nerfed bosses, but how would we cope with hard bosses and multiple wipe nights? Answer: You were brilliant. It's always going to be frustrating wiping over and over and over and over, but people kept it together and came back over and over and over until he died. That's the most we've ever wiped on anything (even Grobby!) and it was still FUN! I love you

Anyway...

Phase 1 is mostly about tanking, and secondly about the raid not missing a spark. It's definitely the most challenging boss to tank I've come across for a long time, because not only do you need to tow a giant dragon whilst keeping your eyes peeled for 4 possible spark locations, you have to do it whilst mitigating insane damage and realising that if you mess up and let his head turn too close - you've wiped the raid.

Anyway, what made it much easier for me to handle was just trusting that the raid would always kill the spark in the centre of the diamond shape, in the middle of the floor. It's MUCH easier to kite Malygos around just the centre of the room, than dragging him to where that spark exploded over there, or where that one was killed over here. I can look at the 4 sides of the diamond shape and think what side the spark will come in from, and make sure he's on that side in time.

Phase 2, only thing I was unhappy about is people dying because (unless you get ganked by the frisbee men at the very start), there's no excuse for it. I'm glad that people sorted this out quickly and efficiently.

Phase 3: The hardest part of this phase for me is calling out "MOVE RIGHT!" when an electricity storm cloud appears so if people can be extra alert to that themselves, it allows me to focus on the boss more! Smile
    Dahlaine
    Dahlaine

Post  Dahlaine Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:57 am

For phase 2, since the melee adds come from upstairs and both the tab-targeting system and the camera don't really function properly in that direction it was sometimes hard to catch a glimpse of the add before it beelines for a clothie.

Yeah I found a problem with that as well; presumably because of the four mobs up in the air which your tab-target takes priority over.

Phase 3: The hardest part of this phase for me is calling out "MOVE RIGHT!" when an electricity storm cloud appears so if people can be extra alert to that themselves, it allows me to focus on the boss more! Smile

The ventrilo delay; although short doesn't help with this either. I'm not sure if DBM tells anyone to move right, however I guess we can always set up a simple raid warning for this in big capitals to give people an extra nudge.
    zuzuna
    zuzuna

Post  zuzuna Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:03 pm

While doing the Aces High daily (training for Malygos) I observed that you can shoot at the dragon even if you are running from him - so, maybe you dont have to keep your front to Malygos moving sideways (harder), you can just move around keeping close to the bunch of murlocs,avoiding the sparkles more easily while pressing 1-1-1-1-2, eh, I mean shooting like crazy.
    Enthesilea
    Enthesilea

Post  Enthesilea Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:24 am

There's also a thing that can make movement easier, which obviously isn't going to work for everyone... But being behind the pack slightly lets you see them on your screen. So everyone slightly behind the two healer drakes and the healer ones keeping close to eachother will make it much easier for us to keep in a tight pack. With behind I mean keeping them between you and Malygos
    zuzuna
    zuzuna

Post  zuzuna Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:16 am

How can you recognise the healers? Is the sign system working on dragons? I couldnt see main tank last time
    Enthesilea
    Enthesilea

Post  Enthesilea Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:48 am

The sign system works, but the markers were left on the players, which are tiny specs riding on the backs of the dragons. We can mark the dragons themselves but we didn't do it due to extreme hurry and bloodlust :-P You can see healing dragons periodically by the fact that they have a spherical green spell effect originating from them in all directions. But yes, we should try raidmarking the centerpiece so people can follow, the marks on the players become too small to see
    Marveen
    Marveen

Post  Marveen Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:37 am

Enthesilea wrote:There's also a thing that can make movement easier, which obviously isn't going to work for everyone... But being behind the pack slightly lets you see them on your screen. So everyone slightly behind the two healer drakes and the healer ones keeping close to eachother will make it much easier for us to keep in a tight pack. With behind I mean keeping them between you and Malygos
    My kneejerk reaction was "omg haelerz haev no tiem 2 look excpt healthbars! D:", but then I realised what you were trying to say. Plus, since using the healing dragons here is quite trivial (target self, build 5 stacks of Revivify, then Burst it, repeat), this is an even better idea than I first thought. All the healers have to do then is move steadily around Malygos, and the dps drakes can keep their position relative to the "green" drakes. I still find the fight a bit of a beatch to position myself in (3D environment ftl), but I'm up for trying!
    zuzuna
    zuzuna

Post  zuzuna Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:02 am

I still find the fight a bit of a beatch to position myself in (3D environment ftl), but I'm up for trying!
    Yeah! Instead of me running after the dps, they will be clustering around us :-)
    But I still think it is better to have one of the dps with the mark, because we healers wont know the correct distance to Malygos. But if that DPS functions as the focus, we can be around him and heal all the group
    Mnemo
    Mnemo

Post  Mnemo Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:35 pm

http://wowwebstats.com/vbtrncv5rjzmm

Malygos.

DPS: Especially good job of Akari, considering it's her first raid.
    And Dahl keeps doing a good job, I assume she'll catch me soon Wink

Enth nailed the concept nearly instantly, even doing better than Advent did last a few times Wink

Good job everyone, 5 new people to Malygos, yet we made solid progress each pull.
    Marveen
    Marveen

Post  Marveen Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:35 pm

Again a nice raid, I really like how quickly we recover from wipes and keep trying, clawing in on success on each attempt.

Good healing job by Gimil and Itz - get yourselves heroiced up so you too can try the awesomeness of 2-man healing Naxx... Very Happy One thing I noticed on Gimil was that you said you were ubermegabusy healing the tank with little time to do anything but spam heals on Enth, yet you preserved your mana better than Marv and Itz most of the time. While I haven't got much of a clue about the paladin class, that to me indicates you need more spellpower (or the stat that gives pallies the equivalent, raw healing power). I know tanking is your main lurve, and in a 3-man healer team Gimil did very well. However if you are interested in improving your healing, that would be my first tip!

Enth did a great job towing the drake, I can imagine the pain it must be to constantly scan the horizon for sparks while moving Malygos around. I don't think we had any unnecessary deaths to cleaves/that arcane breath thing he does!

On the kill try we did a very good phase 3, with everyone sticking together fairly closely - and he seemed to die fast. Very good job - seems you can get this phase done in less than two minutes if everyone hits their stride. Our slowest phase now seems to be the start of phase 2, until we can get our top slicers up on their frisbees. I am so tempted to help with the nuking here (they're not bossmobs), but treeform is a pain to switch in and out of.. Sad Unfortunately I didn't resist temptation to nuke on our second last attempt, in phase 3, when he enraged. I decided to stop healing and start nuking and next thing we had a 1% wipe.. Embarassed So live and learn.

Thanks for an awesome raid, and a welcome to our newest murlocs Akari and Aelric on their first trip out.
    Dahlaine
    Dahlaine

Post  Dahlaine Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:43 am

I had a problem a couple of times with Phase 2, when up in the air with Taq where I was out of mana; mostly this was solved by having Shamanistic Rage cooleddown but often it wasn't, thankfully this is easily fixed by me remembering to bring a couple of Mana Potions next time =P.

I know we were slightly short on DPS in comparison to are previous successful attempt on Malygos but we managed to make up for it. I fully believe that with our top DPS we could have Maylgos down first time next time we go assuming everything goes to plan.

And great work by Enth and the healing group!
    Marveen
    Marveen

Post  Marveen Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:54 am

Dahlaine wrote:I had a problem a couple of times with Phase 2, when up in the air with Taq where I was out of mana...
    Get cuddly with one of our pallies - assuming we healers have been doing our job, they'll have a Lay on Hands (2k mana) available to put on you.
    Mnemo
    Mnemo

Post  Mnemo Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:16 pm

http://wowwebstats.com/xmbjcpbk6wusg

Malygos, some attempts missed.

Sartharion +1 Drake attempts (Shadron).

Sartharion kill (no drakes).

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 4:46 pm