Where. Murlocs. Dare

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now Available At: http://www.wheremurlocsdare.com!

+7
Mnemo
Balgarim
Telluria
Kayte
Cardinal
Marveen
Derky
11 posters

WhereMurlocsDare.Com

Derky
    Derky

WhereMurlocsDare.Com Empty WhereMurlocsDare.Com

Post  Derky Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:57 am

WhereMurlocsDare.Com and .co.uk are both availible.

I am considering buying the .com one, would anyone (Mainly Card) have an issue with moving the current site over to a proper domain?

I have hosting capabilities, also means we could make the site a bit more flashy etc. I would even consider pushing it into SharePoint if I can make a VB forum look half decent (working on that as task for a client at the moment)

Just a thought.

D
    Marveen
    Marveen

WhereMurlocsDare.Com Empty Re: WhereMurlocsDare.Com

Post  Marveen Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:04 am

If it means being able to get [item] tags working, I'm for it!
    Derky
    Derky

Post  Derky Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:41 am

Marveen wrote:If it means being able to get [item] tags working, I'm for it!

Yeah I'd probably do the same thing I did with the FoW website and build in the WoWhead ODBC connection. Now MMO have released there's we could even link both Surprised

Ill have a look into it if Card doesn't have a problem.

D
    Cardinal
    Cardinal
    Big Fish

Post  Cardinal Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:42 am

I don't have a problem with that at all, it's very generous of you and it's be nice to have a decent web address.

I'm a luddite, I have no idea how to transfer it or what you hosting it would change. Are you offering/able to build a new forum from the ground up, or is just transferring this one? This is just a free forum hosted by https://www.forumotion.com/ with one of their free skins.

Would making a new forum mean we lose everything here?
    Derky
    Derky

Post  Derky Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:46 am

To answer that question I would need admin rights to the forum to look into the admin pannels and see what I can backup / export.

I know what I am doing, but if you prefer I try and talk you through it on vent on night I would understand.

Hopefully, omgforum didn't lock the backend down so you can access the DB. But it all depends on how they built the site.

D
    Kayte
    Kayte

Post  Kayte Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:44 am

Derky wrote:

I know what I am doing

\o/
    Derky
    Derky

Post  Derky Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:45 am

Kayte wrote:
    Derky wrote:

I know what I am doing

\o/

!

D
    Marveen
    Marveen

Post  Marveen Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:41 am

He just wants to deface everyone's posts with Ascii art of Bruno's arse.. Sad
    Derky
    Derky

Post  Derky Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:54 pm

Right,

I've found some hosting, $6 a month which is cheapo. It comes with PHPBB and PHPNuke installed so I can replicate and improve the forum. Also gives us a lot more options

I just need to look at how this forum is built regarding the data, we can do that when ever Card. I could also do with finding out how much bandwidth we are using here, I doubt its high but i'd like to make sure we have room to expand on that.Turns out I can get free bandwidth which is unlimited if I buy a slightly longer contract. Which is fine with me.
    For those who are interesting, below what comes with the package I am looking at.

E-commerce Pack:
    FREE Shopping Cart Software
    Free shopping cart software is included in the SiteGround hosting plan. We will install OsCommerce (or CRELoaded - the upgraded osCommerce version), ZenCart or CubeCart for FREE on your account. This is a perfect opportunity to start your e-business.
    More about FREE Shopping Cart Software

SSL Certificates
    A Free Shared SSL certificate is included in the SiteGround hosting plan. You can also add a private SSL certificate to your account from your user's area.
    More about SSL Certificates

Accept PayPal payments
    With SiteGround E-commerce pack you will be able to easily accept PayPal payments with any of the Shopping cart tool we support.
    More about Accept PayPal payments

Merchant Accounts
    With SiteGround E-commerce pack you will easily choose the best merchant solution for your needs among the 4 most favorite merchant accounts providers 2CheckOut, PayPal, MerchantLogic and Worldpay!
    More about Merchant Accounts

Site Traffic Statistics
    SiteGround provides you with three different website statistics: Awstats, Webalizer and Analog stats. All of them include charts and graphs revealing useful information about the traffic your site generates. For example the number of hits, most visited pages, referral URLs and many more.
    More about Site Traffic Statistics

Open PGP/GPG Encryption
    Great security feature for your email communication! You may use it to send important Business information encrypted via email and to be sure that only people that are authorized will be able to read it.
    E-mail Management:
    UNLIMITED Email Accounts
    You can have UNLIMITED FREE email accounts at your domain name - e.g. you@yourdomain.com.

Web-based Email Access
    You can access your email accounts from any computer with an Internet connection. Our hosting plan includes the two most popular web-based mail clients: Horde and SquirrelMail.

SMTP, POP3 and IMAP Servers
    On a SiteGround hosting account you can easily send and receive email messages via POP3 and SMTP protocols. The IMAP protocol is the perfect solution if you need your email account to be simultaneously accessible by multiple clients. With SiteGround you can use any email client, such as MS Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, Eudora, Pegasus mail and so on.

Forwarding, Aliases, Auto-replies
    The forwarders and aliases allow you to forward emails received to any of your email accounts to another mailbox.

Auto Responders allow you to set automatic answers for email accounts. For example, your customers can receive a confirmation that their inquiry has been received.

Catch-all Mailbox
    Email messages, sent to non-existent addresses at your domain can be received in your Catch-all mailbox. Thus you will never lose an important message.

Mailing Lists Available
    SiteGround provides phpList application, which allows you to create and manage mailing lists and send easily emails to multiple subscribers.
    Website Management Tools:
    CPanel Control Panel
    You will be able to manage your hosting account with the help of the most popular web-based control panel: the CPanel. With the help of its easy interface you will upload files, manage your email accounts, view your website statistics, park domains, manage FTP accounts, subdomains, databases, etc..

Fantastico Script Auto-installer
    Fantastico auto-installer is included in the SiteGround hosting package! With its help you will be able to install many useful scripts on your account with only a few mouse clicks. The most popular installs included in Fantastico are Mambo, phpBB, OS Commerce, Coppermine Gallery and many more.

File Manager
    With the help of a user-friendly interface you can easily manage all the files uploaded on your account from your CPanel

Password Protected Directories
    This feature allows you to limit the access to certain directories for specified users only. For example you can easily create a members' area.

Password Management
    You can easily change the password of your Customer Area.

Edit Mime Types
    MIME types tell browsers how to handle specific extensions. You can alter or add new MIME types. MIME types are often used to handle new technologies as they appear. When WAP technology first appeared for example, we did not have these extensions set up on our servers. With the MIME types, however, each of our customers could set it up and begin serving WAP pages immediately.

Edit Apache Handlers
    Apache handlers tell the server how to deal with web files that need to be processed on the server. For example, Apache is set up to process files with .pl extensions using Perl. However, if for some reason you also want to process files with .script extension using Perl, then you will have to set up a custom Apache handler for your site.

Cron Jobs
    Cron jobs allow you to automate repetitive tasks on the server that hosts your web site. This is a powerful tool that allows you to take a hands-free approach to repetitive tasks. For example, you could add a cron job that automatically copies a MySQL database to a separate location on your site as a backup.

IP Banning/Filtering
    The IP manager in the CPanel allows you to ban and filter IPs.

Redirect URL
    The Redirect URL manager in the CPanel allows you to redirect any URL hosted on your account to opens another URL.

Server Side Includes (SSI)
    SSI enables you to include parts of other sites in your site

Hot Link Protection
    The CPanel allows you to protect your website content from HotLinking. HotLinking is when someone links a content from your website in a way that consumes your bandwidth.

Www and non-www Access
    At SiteGround your website will be accessible, no matter if your visitors type its domain with or without WWW
    More than 150 Scripts:
    Mambo FREE Installation
    SiteGround provides the best Mambo Hosting services for more information click here.
    More about Mambo FREE Installation

Joomla FREE Installation
    SiteGround provides the best Joomla Hosting services for more information click here.
    More about Joomla FREE Installation

osCommerce FREE Installation
    SiteGround provided the best osCommerce hosting services. For more information click here.
    More about osCommerce FREE Installation

phpBB FREE Installation
    SiteGround provided the best phpBB hosting services. For more information click here.
    More about phpBB FREE Installation

WordPress FREE Installation
    SiteGRound provides the best WordPress hosting services. For more info click here.
    More about WordPress FREE Installation

phpNuke FREE Installation
    SiteGround provides the best phpNuke hosting services. For more info click here.
    More about phpNuke FREE Installation

Drupal FREE Installation
    SiteGround provides the best Drupal Hosting services. For more info click here.
    More about Drupal FREE Installation

MediaWiki FREE Installation
    SiteGround provides the best MediaWiki hosting services. For more info click here.
    More about MediaWiki FREE Installation

Ready-made CGI scripts
    In the CPanel there are many CGI scripts that you can install with a few clicks. They include: Agora Shopping Cart, Advanced Guestbook, Java Clock Generator, Java Countdown Generator, Counter Generator, and more.

Web Calendar
    Easy to install script that will include a Calendar to your website.

Custom CGI Scripts
    You can add your own custom CGI scripts and execute them from your account.

Exclusive Professional Services
    SiteGround provides affordable professional services for the applications and scripts used by its customers. These services include upgrades to latest version, integration of two different applications, adding of modules/components, etc.
    More about Exclusive Professional Services
    DataBase Management:
    UNLIMITED MySQL/Postgre DBs
    With SiteGround hosting package you can use UNLIMITED MySQL and Postgres databases. You can manage your databases in a few mouse clicks via the web-based control panel. You are able to add and remove DBs, change passwords, manage permissions and more.

phpMyAdmin and phpPgAdmin
    The easiest systems for managing your MySQL and postGre Databases.
    FTP Management:
    UNLIMITED FTP accounts
    With SiteGround you can create UNLIMITED FTP accounts with specific restrictions on what the different people connected to your website can upload and download. It is very easy to add and remove FTP accounts as well as to change their passwords.

Change FTP Login Message
    'This feature allows you to change the login message.
    Domains and Subdomains:
    FREE Domain name
    With SiteGround.com you get a FREE domain name for your website. The domain name is YOUR property.

Unlimited Parked Domains
    You can have multiple domain names pointing to your site. This is a great way to increase your online visibility.

Unlimited Subdomains
    Our hosting plan includes unlimited free subdomains to allow more freedom for the organization of your site.

5 Addon Domains (extra fee applied)
    The extremely affordable addon domain extra feature allows you to host up to 6 websites on your account.

Subdomains Redirects
    All your subdomains or directories can redirect the visitor to a URL of your choice.

Emails for Subdomains
    You can create mailboxes under your subdomains. For example mail@sub.domain.com
    Statistics:
    Awstats, Webalizer, Analog
    SiteGround provides you with three different website statistics: Awstats, Webalizer and Analog stats. All of them include charts and graphs revealing useful information about the traffic your site generates. For example the number of hits, most visited pages, referral URLs and many more.

Subdomains Stats
    Allows you to get information about your subdomains access history.

View Latest Visitors
    This feature gives you information about the last 300 visitors who visited your site.

View Bandwidth Usage
    With this feature you will never lose track of how much bandwidth your account uses.

View Error Log
    Enables you to detect the errors your visitors encounter. Thus you can easily and quickly solve the problems.

Download a Raw Log File
    Raw access logs contain all the recorded hit information that your site has received. You can set the Raw Log Manager to archive this information every month and/or delete the previous month's log at the end of every month.
    Servers and Infrastructure:
    Xeon 3210 Kentsfield Quad Core 2.13 GHz
    The most innovative quad-core processor technology of the Kentsfield servers guarantee the speed and the flawless functioning of your website.

CentOS Installed
    SiteGround system administrators continuously optimize the servers' performance to achieve the highest levels of speed and security. We use one of the most stable operating systems - CentOS. Our servers are also equipped with all your website needs to operate properly - Apache, MySQL, PHP, mail server,etc.

Customized Apache Web Server
    SiteGround system administrators have customized the Apache Web Server in order to achieve the highest levels of speed and security.

MySQL server Version 5.0
    The MySQL is the most widely used Database system on Linux Servers.

Redundant Firewall
    For maximum security of your web hosting accounts we use redundant firewall system.

Redundant Backbone Connections
    Our servers are located at the best data-centers in USA (Dallas and Houston, Texas). To provide your website with the fastest possible data transfers we have a 100 Mbps internet connection to the most powerful backbone Internet providers in the USA

Redundant UPS Power Back-up
    The UPS power Back-ups insure that your data will not be damaged in case of emergency power shortages.

24/7 Network Monitoring
    SiteGround System Administrator team is constantly monitoring the network devices and infrastructure to protects it from various attacks.

24/7 Server Monitoring
    SiteGround System Administrators has created a State -of-art system for 24/7 server performance monitoring to ensure extra security for your website.

Weekly Backups
    Your account information is backed up once a week on a different server from the one that hosts your primary account. This provides extra security for your data.
    PHP & Multimedia Technology:
    PHP 5.0, PHP 5.1, PHP 5.2
    SiteGround has a unique server setup that allows each customer to choose which version of the PHP to use for its account. The customer can even use different PHP versions for different directories in one and the same hosting account.
    More about PHP 5.0, PHP 5.1, PHP 5.2

Perl and Python Supported
    Apart from PHP, Perl and Python are the other script languages you can use with your account.

GD library, ImageMagick, CURL, Zlib
    Different gallery and PHP libraries.

Zend Optimizer, Safe Mod off
    Zend Optimizer and Safe Mod off optimize the way PHP is handled by the server.

Mod_rewrite, .htaccess
    Mod_rewrite, .htaccess

Smarty Templates, php.ini
    Helpful PHP technologies.

XML, HTML, XHTML, WAP, WML
    Our servers are compatible with XML, HTML, XHTML, VRML, WAP, WML

Macromedia Shockwave and Flash
    Our servers are compatible with Macromedia products Shockwave and Flash

Quicktime Compatible
    Our servers are compatible with Quicktime

MPEG, MP3, PDF, FLV
    Our servers are compatible with MPEG, MP3, PDF and FLV file formats.

D
    Telluria
    Telluria

Post  Telluria Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:19 pm

I actually have more hosting space available than I know what to do with, which as a result of daisy chained referrals isn't costing me a bean; I'm more than happy to provide some space, MySQL DB, etc, that you can furtle with. http://www.phoenixraiding.net is sitting on my account as an example...
    Derky
    Derky

Post  Derky Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:20 am

I've bought some hosting before I saw that post, but oh well I have uses for it.

The site is semi up at www.WhereMurlocsDare.Com the forum is on /forum

If anyone is bored today and has some general forum knowledge I could with a pair of hands re-creating stuff while I work on the CMDB etc.

Drop me a line on msn or here

D
    Marveen
    Marveen

Post  Marveen Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:26 am

Not much experience other than lurking and trolling Very Happy, and I'm on and off my pc throughout the day (housewifery!). But let me know if you need something tested. Let me turn my msn on.. (addy in the other thread).
    Derky
    Derky

Post  Derky Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:33 am

Righty,

Due to the host I went with I've had to build the site up from the ground. Not a major problem just taken slightly longer.

I've built the database for 2 different types of forum. PHPBB3 or SMF with tinyportal. (Yes I have actually had to build a MSQL DB for the forums, as the host is retarded)

Need peoples opinions / advice regarding the site

The first version of the forum is SMF with Tiny portal, its the same set up MMO use as a base just theres is heavily customised.

http://wheremurlocsdare.com/Forum/ is SMF. Its in its most basic form at the moment apart from i've installed some wow orientated forum addons like linking from wowhead etc. The front portal page is the main addition to it, with PHPBB3 you need to create your own, which I have the software for around 11 different types ranging from Mambo to PHPNuke. Main advantage is this comes built in with SMF.

For addons and skins see http://www.simplemachines.org/

The second forum is PHPBB3 which is favoured by most.

http://wheremurlocsdare.com/PHPBB/

Heavily customisable like SMF but it doesnt have the built in portal page. This does mean we could do the front page how we liked from the ground up. I think the forum looks a bit more shit as Phpbb but i think thats more down to the base skin.

Wowhead links work on PHPBB better than anywhere else from what I remember, its also got a good support remit with it.

Once the forum style has been decided the next one is the skin! Any suggestions to colours and skins (Large amount availible on the web) please do post them.

Thanks!

D
    Marveen
    Marveen

Post  Marveen Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:52 am

Two discussions of SMF vs PHPBB:

- http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16952
    - http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=55438

I recognise "phpbb", SMF is news to me (but I recognise the forum look from MMO-Champion).
    Derky
    Derky

Post  Derky Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:35 am

Place holder

Front page!

Jamoola
    http://www.wheremurlocsdare.com/index.php

I personally don't like Jamoola. Its extremely over crowded the templates are shit. Meaning if we did choose this sort of front page i'd spend every waking hour coding the page! :p
    Balgarim
    Balgarim

Post  Balgarim Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:38 am

Get rid of Joomla, it's fucking shit. I used it for one of my uni projects (we had to!) and it was a nightmare.
    Marveen
    Marveen

Post  Marveen Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:48 am

I didn't know what Joomla was until I just googled it. I'd second Bal on this - CMS' are a waste of time and something only BIG or clueless companies use - they are usually sold with a webadministrator who, as D says, spends every waking hour managing the content.

In my old job I made a web frontend for a project database (vbscript lolz). It worked fine for the purposes of my department, with 30 employees and 70 projects, until the IT department found out, then elbowed me out saying it was their job to do, bought a fancy CMS thing (and hired a CMS web administrator) and spent the next 2 years getting their fancy system to work - I left the job before it did. Poo poo poo!
    Derky
    Derky

Post  Derky Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:59 am

I hate it already.

Two more to look at.

PHPNuke

http://wheremurlocsdare.com/PHPNuke/

Old old old system, but still rocks

and http://www.phpbb3portal.com/

not installed it as it over writes the forum and I cant be arsed to rebuild it again !

D
    Marveen
    Marveen

Post  Marveen Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:04 am

The nuke is the one most free servers use, innit? I could swear our current portal is on that..
    Telluria
    Telluria

Post  Telluria Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:10 am

Well, a CMS isn't a bad thing in and of itself, you do often want a bit more than just a noddy forum as noted on WoWwiki at http://www.wowwiki.com/Guild_website_utilities :
    A CMS is most commonly known as a forum engine, but just a forum is not enough for most guilds anymore. Galleries, news items, managed articles, downloads, uploads, and other utilities are often in high demand. Most CMSs support themes to change how they look and feel to better fit your guild's personality.
    Joomla does seem to have lots of plugin frobs available to suit a WoW site like ours.

EQDKP-Plus is what Caradon used for Phoenix's site, biggest obvious drawback for us is that we don't need the DKP side Smile
    Derky
    Derky

Post  Derky Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:58 am

Marveen wrote:The nuke is the one most free servers use, innit? I could swear our current portal is on that..

Ours is TinyPortal. I think. Could be PHPNuke they all look the same.

But yes its common.

Tell - I am installing galleries etc etc on extra sub domains to level out the speed of the site. It will all be linked just makes it a lot more faster on the load time. Unlike CMS packages.

D

Last edited by Derky on Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total
    Cardinal
    Cardinal
    Big Fish

Post  Cardinal Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:01 am

Out of those, I prefer:

http://www.phpbb3portal.com/

The Nuke one was good, but just a little more dated in my opinion.

Got your PM's Derky. I'll make an account on the new site.
    Derky
    Derky

Post  Derky Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:04 am

Cardinal wrote:Out of those, I prefer:

http://www.phpbb3portal.com/

The Nuke one was good, but just a little more dated in my opinion.

Got your PM's Derky. I'll make an account on the new site.

Easiest to install too!

I've just had a major incident passed to me so ill have to chill on this for a bit while I fix this, but ill give you admin rights as soon as I see you.

D
    Derky
    Derky

Post  Derky Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:34 am

I need to install groups and users hacks as thats the worst fucking admin pannel in the world.

Either way, you are set up with Root level rights.

D
    Derky
    Derky

Post  Derky Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:05 am

Um,

I've somehow trashed my own forum account during the install of a mod. Can you search my acocunt and change the password / create me a new one.

If no, ill have to trash the forum and re-publish it, not really an issue as we've not done anything.

joy...

D

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 12:42 pm