Where. Murlocs. Dare

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now Available At: http://www.wheremurlocsdare.com!

4 posters

Macro help

Akari
    Akari

Macro help Empty Macro help

Post  Akari Fri May 22, 2009 9:30 am

I could really, really, really use some help creating a macro that would make my life a lot easier, because I suck at making macros. So if anyone knows how to do that and could tell me how to make one that does the following, it would be much appreciated!

I need a macro that will cast Sinister Strike, unless Tricks of the Trade is not on cooldown. If it is ready, it needs to target Cardinal and cast it on him and afterwards return my target to the last hostile target.

I hope it's possible to create that macro and that someone will help me with it when they have a moment to spare.
    Marveen
    Marveen

Macro help Empty Re: Macro help

Post  Marveen Fri May 22, 2009 10:14 am

Hmm, I'd set the MT as your /focus and use a modifier to cast TotT. Something like:

#showtooltip
    /cast [mod,target=focus,help] Tricks of the Trade; Sinister Strike

Set the icon to the "?" and it will update automatically. If you just press it, it will cast SS. If you hold down any modifier (=mod, Alt/Shift/Ctrl), it will change to TotT and cast it on your focus (if it's friendly). At least this should work in practice, and you can hold down the modifier to see if your TotT is off cooldown.

Alternatively you'd use:

#showtooltip
    /castsequence reset=30 Tricks of the Trade, Sinister Strike

But then you'd have to manually target Cardinal (could just F/assist your hostile target I suppose and assist again to get back to your main target), not sure how to get a /castsequence macro to work alternatively on a focus or on a target.
    Akari
    Akari

Post  Akari Fri May 22, 2009 10:50 am

Thanks for taking the time to help me out Marveen.

I think I'll experiment a bit with the first macro. But is it not possible to have one that does it without having to hold down a modifier? Something like casting TotT on target's target, but if it's on cooldown, moves on to Sinister Strike?
    Marveen
    Marveen

Post  Marveen Fri May 22, 2009 10:53 am

Probably, but I don't know macro syntax well enough to do it.. Sad

It would be something like:

#showtooltip
    /castsequence reset=30 [target=focus,help] Tricks of the Trade, Sinister Strike

.. but I'm not sure the target condition will only apply to TotT.. nor if the condition can go after the reset condition. Try it?
    Akari
    Akari

Post  Akari Fri May 22, 2009 11:13 am

Won't that macro also use Sinister Strike on my focus target?

I think I'll stick with the first one you originally posted and see if that does it for me. I'll also have better control over who it's casted on.

Thanks!
    Topanca

Post  Topanca Fri May 22, 2009 4:28 pm

#showtooltip Tricks of the Trade
    /cast [target=targettarget] Tricks of the Trade

#showtooltip Tricks of the Trade
    /cast [target=Cardinal,help] Tricks of the Trade

You'd need to script the actually command to check if the spell was on CD. Blizzard removed the capability to make a macro intelegent some time ago, I know there are ways around it, but I only know how to do that in a boss mod or UI addon, not a macro.

D

Edit - On Tops Laptop so logged in as her ;p!
    Akari
    Akari

Post  Akari Sat May 23, 2009 3:51 am

I tried Marv's idea last night. Unfortunately, because I am using Xperl unitframes, I can't use the focus target because "that action is only available to the Blizzard UI"...

Would it be possible to mix Marveen's and Derky's macro? Something like this:

#showtooltip
    /cast [mod,target=targettarget,help] Tricks of the Trade; Sinister Strike

So the macro will cast TotT on my target's target when I hold down a modifier and otherwise cast Sinister Strike.
    Marveen
    Marveen

Post  Marveen Sat May 23, 2009 4:01 am

Hmm, odd. I use XPerl and I'm pretty sure I access the focus frame through a macro (my Hibernate/Thorns macro). But yeah, your suggested addon should work - just try it out. It may bug out if your target's target is hostile, but that will just give an error message ("Invalid target" or whatever) and it will fail to trigger TotT.
    Prynkesse
    Prynkesse

Post  Prynkesse Sat May 23, 2009 5:17 am

I'd be interested to see how this works out for you Akari.

I'm such a simple creature that something like this wouldn't even occur to me :s I only very recently began to use macros for combat at all, triggered by ToT at lvl 80. I use the basic macro for setting ToT to cast on a focus target, so I need to set the tank as the focus each time I start in a group. I have to manually hit it each time its off cooldown (when I remember to check the cooldown between watching my cycles!).

I also use one that does a SS if enough energy or an autoattack otherwise (I was slow changing mobs before trying that one.) And finally one that does a Deadly Throw if the target has combo pts, or defaults to a regular thrown otherwise, just to save me some space on hotkeys!

I've had mixed feelings about macros that autotrigger trinket usage when they are off cooldown, perhaps I'm just being too much of a girl about it, but I always want to feel like I'm actively doing something other than cycles & monitoring finishers. Though perhaps I over complicate things for myself as a result. I think I should consider looking in my own usage a little further. Smile

Pryn

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 7:14 am